Thursday, November 3, 2011

My Instructional Design Definition

My term for the field is: Instructional design, integrating technology and employee/student training and development.

 For my definition of the field and because I work in a business environment, I wanted to cover all the bases in regard to my definition so to me: 1) instructional design implies the framework for the education/training; 2) integrating (use of) technology meaning online courses, internet, social media, lecture with use of PowerPoint, Wikis, Blogs, live interviews (such as Skype), online research/library, implies the use of anything and everything that will aid and promote learning/education; 3) and employee/student training and development implies the actual area, courses, curriculum, and outcomes that are needed for the learning objectives and best outcomes. My definition is also based on the premise of lots of feedback, updates and changes. There is always room for improvement.

I have some experience in the area of training due in part to my education. I have a Masters Degree in Human Resources, with an emphasis on corporate training and development. Also, before my employer had a Corporate University, the technicians and assistants were expected to learn new skills and technology (at the time this meant computer software), and to teach and assist others in their sections. This worked out well for me because I have always had an interest in life long learning. My definition is so descriptive because from my viewpoint, had I not been exposed in the instructional area by my education and my job, I probably would have a hard time figuring out exactly what is meant by instructional design and technology. That is why I elaborated on my definition.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading about your experiences that have influenced your view of instructional design. I challenge you to write your definition in 2-3 sentences.

    ReplyDelete